The offseason injury bug has taken a bite out of the Kentucky football program yet again, as freshman wide receiver Dekel Crowdus went down with an apparent knee injury in practice on Thursday, with an MRI and x-rays taking place yesterday afternoon to determine the severity.
Nothing has been confirmed at this time regarding the specific injury or a potential timeline for return.
UK WR Dekel Crowdus was injured today in practice. Tests being done now to determine the extent of injury
Would be a tough loss of a promising young Freshman
— Matt Jones (@KySportsRadio) August 12, 2021
Crowdus came to Kentucky as a four-star recruit out of Frederick Douglass High School in Lexington, KY and was impressing in practice leading up to the injury.
Kentucky has seen three different players go down with season-ending injuries this offseason alone in WR Clevan Thomas, LB D’Eryk Jackson, and TE Keaton Upshaw. Fingers crossed that Crowdus’ injury doesn’t make him the fourth.
Jamin Davis makes his NFL (preseason) debut
Preseason action kicked off last week with the Hall of Fame game (Week Zero) between the Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers, but the official Week One slate began Thursday with two matchups.
The New England Patriots opened the night with a 22-13 victory over the Washington Football Team, with former Kentucky star Jamin Davis making his NFL debut for the latter, finishing with three tackles (one solo) in the loss. Former Wildcat Jon Toth also suited up for WFT.
As for the other matchup, the Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the Philadelphia Eagles by a final score of 24-16. Benny Snell sat out his second consecutive game with an injury, while T.J. Carter and Boogie Watson did not accumulate any stats.
Check out the complete list of former Wildcats suiting up this preseason and when they’re set to take the field this weekend:
- Josh Allen – Jacksonville Jaguars (vs. Browns – Sat. Aug. 14, 7 p.m. ET)
- Quinton Bohanna – Dallas Cowboys (vs. Cardinals – Fri. Aug. 13, 10 p.m. ET)
- Lynn Bowden – Miami Dolphins (vs. Bears – Sat. Aug. 14, 1 p.m. ET)
- Randall Cobb – Green Bay Packers (vs. Texans – Sat. Aug. 14, 8 p.m. ET)
- Bud Dupree – Tennessee Titans (vs. Falcons – Fri. Aug. 13, 7 p.m. ET)
- Brandin Echols – New York Jets (vs. Giants – Sat. Aug. 14, 7:30 p.m. ET)
- Mike Edwards – Tampa Bay Buccaneers (vs. Bengals – Sat. Aug. 14, 7:30 p.m. ET)
- Drake Jackson – Houston Texans (vs. Packers – Sat. Aug. 14, 8 p.m. ET)
- Lonnie Johnson – Houston Texans (vs. Packers – Sat. Aug. 14, 8 p.m. ET)
- Kelvin Joseph – Dallas Cowboys (vs. Cardinals – Fri. Aug. 13, 10 p.m. ET)
- Phil Hoskins – Carolina Panthers (vs. Colts – Sat. Aug. 15, 1 p.m. ET)
- Austin MacGinnis – Los Angeles Rams (vs. Chargers – Sat. Aug. 14, 10 p.m. ET)
- Corey Peters – Arizona Cardinals (vs. Cowboys – Fri. Aug. 13, 10 p.m. ET)
- A.J. Rose – Minnesota Vikings – (vs. Broncos – Sat. Aug. 14, 4 p.m. ET)
- Za’Darius Smith – Green Bay Packers – (vs. Texans – Sat. Aug. 14, 8 p.m. ET)
- Logan Stenberg – Detroit Lions (vs. Bills – Fri. Aug. 13, 7 p.m. ET)
- Danny Trevathan – Chicago Bears (vs. Dolphins – Sat. Aug. 14, 1 p.m. ET)
- Landon Young – New Orleans Saints (vs. Ravens – Sat. Aug. 14, 7 p.m. ET)
- Chris Westry – Baltimore Ravens (vs. Saints – Sat. Aug. 14, 7 p.m. ET)
Tyrese Maxey shines (again) in NBA Summer League
The cream is clearly rising to the top and rotations are being cut down during NBA Summer League play, as DNP-Coach’s Decisions are ramping up for fringe roster players, while young stars are seeing an uptick in playing time and production.
Unfortunately for several former Kentucky players hoping to earn a roster spot this season, the DNPs are racking up rather quickly, with several being held out on Thursday. As for UK’s two most recent first-round draft selections in Tyrese Maxey and Isaiah Jackson, they continue to shine for their respective franchises, with the former actually leading the entire Summer League in scoring at 26.0 points per contest.
Check out the complete results from Thursday evening:
San Antonio Spurs def. Charlotte Hornets 106-105
- Skal Labissiere (Spurs) – DNP (Coach’s Decision)
- Nick Richards (Hornets) – DNP (Coach’s Decision)
Minnesota Timberwolves def. Chicago Bulls 78-59
Brooklyn Nets def. Washington Wizards 84-81 (2OT)
- Brandon Knight (Nets) – DNP (Coach’s Decision)
Indiana Pacers def. Portland Trail Blazers 97-64
- Isaiah Jackson (Pacers) – 10 points (3-8 FG, 1-2 3PT), five rebounds, four blocks
Boston Celtics def. Orlando Magic 108-71
Toronto Raptors def. Houston Rockets 92-76
- Ashton Hagans (Raptors) – DNP (ankle)
Philadelphia 76ers def. Atlanta Hawks 96-88 (OT)
- Tyrese Maxey (76ers) – 31 points (11-23 FG, 1-8 3PT), six rebounds, five assists, two blocks, one steal
- Charles Matthews (76ers) – DNP (Coach’s Decision)
Phoenix Suns def. Denver Nuggets 90-84
Friday’s NBA Summer League schedule
Need something to watch this afternoon and evening alongside preseason football? You can find Friday’s Summer League schedule below:
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Milwaukee Bucks (4 p.m. ET, NBA TV)
- EJ Montgomery (Bucks)
Utah Jazz vs. Miami Heat (5 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- Nate Sestina (Jazz)
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (6 p.m. ET, NBA TV)
Golden State Warriors vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (7 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Kahlil Whitney (Warriors)
New York Knicks vs. Detroit Pistons (8 p.m. ET, NBA TV)
- Immanuel Quickley (Knicks)
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Sacramento Kings (9 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- Olivier Sarr (Grizzlies)
Los Angeles Clippers vs. Los Angeles Lakers (10 p.m. ET, NBA TV)
- BJ Boston (Clippers)