Can they win the series after a disastrous start to the homestand?
Things got ugly there for a little bit. No one likes getting swept, and that first game against the Mets was some of the worst baseball I’ve watched and that goes for both teams. However, the wonderful thing about baseball is how one good game and bring you a little hope. If the Reds can beat the Mets that would be two in a row and would win the series. They would get a well needed day off before going into St. Louis. Maybe they could win three in a row? You know what they call that? A winning streak.
- Still no Nick Castellanos though Aristides Aquino does look nice out there in right field. It’s a pretty normal Reds lineup against a right handed hitter with Shogo Akiyama on the bench.
- It will likely be a strange day for the bullpen. I think Garrett is probably good to go again, but some guys are really hurting for rest. I want to say that Heath Hembree pitched three days in a row or something like that. Brach did not pitch much last night so maybe he’s good. Osich is available but he scares me. The Reds have just had to put a lot of innings on the bullpen, through some fault of their own, the last few days.
- The reason for the worry about who could be coming out of the bullpen is because they are overtaxed and obviously not the strong point of the Reds. Jeff Hoffman is making his return from AAA. He has not pitched in the majors since May and while he was not terrible he doesn’t strike a ton of confidence. If he doesn’t have a good start, or just can’t pitch deep into the game, the bullpen does not have a ton of gas in it. You could see a piggy back game with Hoffman and Santillan.
- I think this is important enough to post again.
Last 16 appearances for Amir Garrett: 11.1 IP, 3 ER, 19 K, 5 BB, 2.43 ERA#Reds
— ɴɪᴄᴋ ᴋɪʀʙy (@Nicholaspkirby) July 21, 2021
- Ashton Goudeau was sent back to to AAA Louisville to make room for Jeff Hoffman on the 26 man roster. I’m sure Goudeau appreciated the one day bump in pay.
12:35 pm start, Bally Sports Ohio, WLW.
— Cincinnati Reds (@Reds) July 21, 2021
Mets lineup at Reds:
CF Brandon Nimmo
2B Jeff McNeil
1B Pete Alonso
LF Dominic Smith
RF Michael Conforto
3B Jonathan Villar
C Tomas Nido
SS Luis Guillorme
RHP Marcus Stroman
— Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) July 21, 2021
CIN: Jeff Hoffman (3-4, 4.61 ERA, 10 GS, 41 IP, 39 K, 27 BB, 1.59 WHIP)
MIL: Marcus Stroman (6-8, 2.78 ERA, 20 GS, 103.2 IP, 86 K, 25 BB, 1.15 WHIP)